Friday, March 9, 2012

Dorset mum and online retailer shares tips for success

Julia Odgers of KidsTravel2 demonstrates it is possible to start and grow a business during a recession with minimal capital. Here’s how she did it…

KidsTravel2 is an independent online retailer of children’s luggage, travel games & family travel accessories. We also share travel tips and free travel activities via our blog.

Before KidsTravel2 I had a senior role as a Marketing Communications Manager reporting into the board of directors & worked long hours. I knew when I had children I couldn't carry on like this or I would miss their childhoods. So, we relocated to Poole during my maternity leave and I set up as a freelance web design and marketing consultant helping business startups, including KidsTravel2.

KidsTravel2 was originally established in 2006 by Gervase Walton but I was heavily involved from the early days. I focused on improving the usability of the website and recommended a complete marketing strategy. Much of this I implemented resulting in page 1 positions on Google for strategic keywords like 'children's luggage'.

After the birth of my second child I started to mull over the idea of setting up my own online business as I wanted more involvement. This is when my path crossed with KidsTravel2 again. Turned out Gervase had decided that online retail wasn’t for her. A few conversations later and I became the new owner.

My 8 top tips for developing a business during a recession are:

    1.    Starting your own business doesn’t necessarily have to be about doing something different to everyone else. Doing it better is what's important. I spent a long time racking my brains trying to ‘invent’ a new product or service. I have since realised that striving to be the best at what you do is what will set you apart & bring you success.

    2.    Talk and listen to your customers so that you can grow the business to fulfil their needs.

    3.    Be realistic about the time you will need to grow the business. The biggest challenge to date has been maintaining a balance between a healthy family life and devoting the time necessary to grow the business during the early stages.

    4.    Keep overheads low.

    5.    Relieve yourself of the tactical tasks so you can focus on strategic growth. We outsourced the warehousing & fulfilment so we could concentrate on marketing and growing the business.

    6.    Grow organically – it is possible to develop a business with minimal investment and financial risk by choosing product wisely & growing organically. Build up trading accounts with new suppliers gradually, gain more credit flexibility & enable more growth.

    7.    Make the most of social media - you can build stronger links with customers, undertake cost effective PR, and network to build strategic partnerships.

And finally..

Have the courage of your own convictions & stay focused on your goal. This is what will keep you going through the tough times you will inevitably encounter.